The Covenant in the Blood of Jesus.
“And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.” –Revelation 12:11
Our Bible reading for today is Matthew 26 :17 – 29
The emphasis is on verses 26 -29 which says “ 26 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, [c]blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.”
27 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. 28 For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. 29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father’s kingdom.”
Basically to celebrate Passover, Jesus and the disciples came together to have the last supper and this is where He broke the bread and gave them wine.
The feast of Passover is when the Israelites celebrate the deliverance of the Egyptians. See Exodus 12.
The final plague was that the firstborns in Egypt would be killed and the Lord told Moses to tell the Israelites to kill a lamb without blemish and kill it and put the blood on the two side posts of their door and then that night eat the roasted lamb. The Lord then said He will pass through Egypt and kill the first born sons and when He sees the blood of the lamb He will pass over you.
Exodus 12:13 “The blood shall be a token or a sign to you upon (the door posts of the houses where you are, (that) when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and no plague shall be upon you to destroy you when I smite the land of Egypt.”
Essentially the blood of the lamb on their door posts protected them from the angel of death.
Fast forward to the New Testamament, Jesus died for our sins. He shed his blood for us. Prior to this the high priest would have to shed blood every year for the remission of sin but Jesus shed his blood once and for all.
When Adam and Eve sinned by eating the apple, God covered their nakedness with skin. In order to get the skin He must have killed an animal, therefore blood was shed for the remission of their sin. According to the laws that govern the earth blood needs to be shed for sin and in the old covenant the High Priest did this every year.
Even in the kingdom blood too is shed.
Thankfully Jesus came and died and shed his blood once and for all and therefore we are in a new covenant with Him.
Hebrews 9: 11 -26 says “Christ Is the Perfect Sacrifice
11 So Christ has now become the High Priest over all the good things that have come. He has entered that greater, more perfect Tabernacle in heaven, which was not made by human hands and is not part of this created world. 12 With his own blood—not the blood of goats and calves—he entered the Most Holy Place once for all time and secured our redemption forever.
13 Under the old system, the blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer could cleanse people’s bodies from ceremonial impurity. 14 Just think how much more the blood of Christ will purify our consciences from sinful deeds so that we can worship the living God. For by the power of the eternal Spirit, Christ offered himself to God as a perfect sacrifice for our sins. 15 That is why he is the one who mediates a new covenant between God and people, so that all who are called can receive the eternal inheritance God has promised them. For Christ died to set them free from the penalty of the sins they had committed under that first covenant.
16 Now when someone leaves a will, it is necessary to prove that the person who made it is dead.17 The will goes into effect only after the person’s death. While the person who made it is still alive, the will cannot be put into effect.
18 That is why even the first covenant was put into effect with the blood of an animal. 19 For after Moses had read each of God’s commandments to all the people, he took the blood of calves and goats,along with water, and sprinkled both the book of God’s law and all the people, using hyssop branches and scarlet wool. 20 Then he said, “This blood confirms the covenant God has made with you.”21 And in the same way, he sprinkled blood on the Tabernacle and on everything used for worship. 22 In fact, according to the law of Moses, nearly everything was purified with blood. For without the shedding of blood, there is no forgiveness.
23 That is why the Tabernacle and everything in it, which were copies of things in heaven, had to be purified by the blood of animals. But the real things in heaven had to be purified with far better sacrifices than the blood of animals.
24 For Christ did not enter into a holy place made with human hands, which was only a copy of the true one in heaven. He entered into heaven itself to appear now before God on our behalf. 25 And he did not enter heaven to offer himself again and again, like the high priest here on earth who enters the Most Holy Place year after year with the blood of an animal. 26 If that had been necessary, Christ would have had to die again and again, ever since the world began. But now, once for all time, he has appeared at the end of the age[k] to remove sin by his own death as a sacrifice.”
Before the fall of Adam and Eve there was no sickness. Sickness came after the fall. Therefore sickness is as a result of the sin of Adam and Eve and the blood of Jesus has been shed for the remission of all sins.
Therefore no sickness has any legal right to remain in your body.
The Bible in Revelation 12:11 says “And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.”
We overcome the enemy by the blood of Jesus and we can appropriate or apply this in two ways.
- Through Holy Communion: This is when we remember Christs sacrifice as instructed by him during the last supper . See Luke 22 : 7 – 20.
Let us focus on verses 17 -20 “17 Then he took a cup of wine and gave thanks to God for it. Then he said, “Take this and share it among yourselves. 18 For I will not drink wine again until the Kingdom of God has come.”
19 He took some bread and gave thanks to God for it. Then he broke it in pieces and gave it to the disciples, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”
20 After supper he took another cup of wine and said, “This cup is the new covenant between God and his people—an agreement confirmed with my blood, which is poured out as a sacrifice for you.”
Jesus asked us to do this to remember our new covenant and so we do this by taking Holy Communion to remember Jesus sacrifice for us.
2. Through Prayer: We also do this by covering ourselves, families, homes, business, finances , health etc with the blood of Jesus.We do this by believing in Jesus Christ and simply saying a prayer in faith covering ourselves in the blood.
The blood of Jesus is powerful and speaks on our behalf. Hebrews 12:24 says “to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.”
- Thank Jesus for the blood He shed for us and for the new covenant.
- Practice Holy Communion as often as possible. You can do this once a day or even as much as you want some people do it three times a day. Ask the Holy Spirit how often you should do this. There are Holy Communion elements that are sold in places like Laterna Venture or even online but you can also just use Ribena and bread or even water and bread or biscuit etc. It is the motive behind it that matters. As you do this remeber that Jesus died for your sins and sickness already.
- Look for scriptures about Jesus paying the price and redeeming us and meditate on these.
- Say a prayer to cover your self in the blood of Jesus and your body and the organ where you are experiencing sickness. For example you can say “I believe the blood of Jesus is on my life, my body, my home, cleansing and protecting me or Father I come to you in Jesus name, and I apply the blood of Jesus to my life, to all that belongs to me, and to everything You have given me to steward. I put the blood of Jesus on my mind, my body (name the organ where you are ill), my emotions, and my will. I put the blood of Jesus on my family, my co-workers, and my friends. Thank you for protecting me with Your blood. Or you can say I cover my health with the blood of Jesus and it speaks better things than the blood of Abel. Do this in the name of Jesus.
- Worship Songs recommendation : The Blood Medley by Travis Greene; The Blood by Pastor Nathaniel Bassey ; The Blood (Medley) by Todd Galberth ; Nothing but the blood Todd Galberth; the Hill by Travis Greene; Blood is still the blood -(feat. Chandler Moore, Nicole Binion & Ryan Ofei) Maverick City; The Blood by Naomi Raine felt Dante Bowe
6. Please join the Hallelujah challenge at 11.59 pm tonight on YouTube or Instagram. Follow Pastor @nathanielblow on Instagram to participate.