Day 18 Dwelling in the secret place
What is The Secret Place?
In the Old Testament, the term “secret place” comes from the Hebrew root word “Cether” which means, “to hide or be concealed”.
The secret place is where we meet the Father. It is where you become immersed in the presence of the Father. He is the secret place. He is the God of the Secret place. He is the secret place.
“Because He is Spirit and His glory is beyond your ability to perceive, we must meet Him in the secret places of the heart in order to commune with Him.”
Let me share a few scriptures with you that talks about The Secret place:
Psalm 18:11: “He made darkness His secret place; His canopy around Him was dark waters And thick clouds of the skies.”
Psalm 27:5: “For in the time of trouble He shall hide me in His pavilion; In the secret place of His tabernacle He shall hide me; He shall set me high upon a rock.”
Psalm 31:20: “You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence From the plots of man; You shall keep them secretly in a pavilion From the strife of tongues.”
Psalm 91:1-2: “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.”
Exodus 33: 12-22 : “Then Moses said to the Lord, “See, You say to me, ‘Bring up this people.’ But You have not let me know whom You will send with me. Yet You have said, ‘I know you by name, and you have also found grace in My sight.’ 13 Now therefore, I pray, if I have found grace in Your sight, show me now Your way, that I may know You and that I may find grace in Your sight. And consider that this nation is Your people.”
14 And He said, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.”
15 Then he said to Him, “If Your Presence does not go with us, do not bring us up from here. 16 For how then will it be known that Your people and I have found grace in Your sight, except You go with us? So we shall be separate, Your people and I, from all the people who are upon the face of the earth.”
17 So the Lord said to Moses, “I will also do this thing that you have spoken; for you have found grace in My sight, and I know you by name.”
18 And he said, “Please, show me Your glory.”
19 Then He said, “I will make all My goodness pass before you, and I will proclaim the name of the Lord before you. I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.” 20 But He said, “You cannot see My face; for no man shall see Me, and live.” 21 And the Lord said, “Here is a place by Me, and you shall stand on the rock. 22 So it shall be, while My glory passes by, that I will put you in the cleft of the rock, and will cover you with My hand while I pass by. 23 Then I will take away My hand, and you shall see My back; but My face shall not be seen.”
Moses would not go without His presence. But also notice that He hid Moses in a cleft of a rock in order for Him to see Him.
We must seek the Father’s presence in the secret place and that presence is meant to go with us minute by minute in our day.
Many seek His presents and not His presence but we should seek His presences and not His presents.
The secret place is a place of intimacy between you and your lover.
Why is the secret Place important?
John 15:5 says “ I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.”
- Every good thing starts off in a secret place.
- You: You were made in the secret place. Psalm 139:15 says “My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.” You were made in your mother’s womb in secret and you stayed there for 9 months. When your parents came together for intercourse it was in secret.
- Treasures: Diamonds, pearls, gold and all precious metals are formed and hidden in the secret place.
- Strategies: Strategic decisions are birthed in the secret place. If you work in a corporate organisation, the decision makers i.e. senior management and board of directors have meetings in the secret place.
- Kingdom of darkness: Even the Kingdom of darkness know the power of the secret place. When you watch movies on Africa magic you see that evil people meet at night in the secret.
- Protection: Protection comes from the secret place. Psalm 91 is one of my favourite Psalms. When I was younger, if I am afraid, I will read Psalm 91 and say it out loud. Last year, the Lord asked me to mediate on Psalm 91 but I stayed on the first verse the whole time. I realised that all the promises in the Psalm were completed dependent on the first verse. It says “He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.” (NKJV)
When you read the stories of great daughters like Katherine Kulmahn, Aimee Semple McPherson, and great sons of God who performed many miracles etc. They all spent intimate time with God. They never desired the gifts. They desired the giver of the gifts.
I’ve been reading Heidi Bakers book titled “Birthing Miracles” and I’ll share excerpts of the book. If you don’t know who she is. She is an American lady who is a missionary in Mozambique and her ministry has seen people being raised from the dead, the blind seeing and deaf hearing etc.
“People often ask me what the secret to sustainability is. The secret place is the secret. We have to live there. As we abide in the presence of the Lord, our hunger increase and we find ourselves birthing glorious new life. If you then know how to live in the secret place but there is no fruit in your life, you have not been there. To the degree we are united with Gods heart and in love with Jesus, we will be fruitful. When I talk to my co-workers, I always emphasize this same thing. Over and over again I say, “All fruitfulness flows from intimacy”. I always remind our team that intimacy is the only way to bear fruit that lasts”.
“Fruitfulness is birthed from love. Bearing fruit is a delight, but it is not the final goal. Intimacy with God must be our purpose. If we pursue Him above all else, fruit simply happens. I have never seen a fruit tree push hard and say, “Give me fruit!”. Trees have no other task than to stand rooted in the soil”. Birthing Miracles by Heidi Baker: –
Heidi Baker goes on to talk about how she would take out time to just spend with God. Sometimes she would go swimming in the ocean or deep sea diving. She has a whole chapter on this in her book.
- Fruitfulness: many of you may wonder how I am able to come up with and do phenomenal things in my career and ministry. Some may even wonder ‘is she the only one?’. First of all, it was Pocket Finance, the Do It Afraid, then the Richer Woman, The Richer Kids club etc. Well everything is birthed from the secret place. In my one on one time with the Father, He begins to show me where He is at work and where He wants me to join Him and because I am doing His work, it is always successful.
Heide Baker says “ I have a confession to make . I have no idea how to prepare for conferences and meetings. I simply live for communion with God, where fruitfulness can flow. Preparing my life to overflow is the only way I know how to prepare. Before we take any action in our movement, the Lord reveals His strategies to us. There is not one things we are doing or attempting to do that we did not find in His word and His presence. We did not sit down at a white board and draw out plans for how we ar e going to reach the nations.”
- Jesus : Most importantly we are to emulate the life of Jesus. If you look at the life of Jesus, several times He went away just to be in the secret place, alone with the Father. Several examples include when He took the three disciples to the mountain. After John the Baptist died He went away to be alone. He sent His disciples on sea when He went to be alone. Before His ministry started He spent 40 days in the wilderness in the secret place with the Father. Before He went to the cross, He spent time in the secret place in the Garden praying.
The question you may be asking is how do I dwell in the Secret Place/
The key word here is to dwell like in Psalms 91v1. To dwell means to live there. The Father does not say visit He says dwell. We must live in His presence. We must seek His presence. I have included some tips below however you have already started this with the Fathers Daughter 21 day challenge.
- Quiet time: Every day take out time to spend with the Father. I’m talking about intimate time with Him and not time praying in a group, or at church etc. Those things are good but not as important as the one on one time you have with Him. Some people spend time in the evening but I think we should give our Father the first fruit of our time. He should have our time when we wake up. Exodus 33: 7 & 11: “Moses took his tent and pitched it outside the camp, far from the camp, and called it the tabernacle of meeting. And it came to pass thateveryone who sought the Lord went out to the tabernacle of meeting which was outside the camp. So the Lord spoke to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. And he would return to the camp, but his servant Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, did not depart from the tabernacle.”
You can do this anywhere but preferably at a time when no one will disturb you and where you can have privacy.
- Informal: Let it be as informal as possible like when you are hanging out with your friend. You don’t have to kneel unless you are led to by the Holy Spirit. Worship Him. Sing your favourite worship songs. Play your favourite worship songs. Dance for and with Him.
- Journal: Write to Him. Hello Daddy….. Pour out your heart to Him, speak to Him. tell Him your burdens. Tell Him how happy you are with the things He has done. Tell Him the things that make you sad or you are struggling with.
- Listen: At some point be quiet and say nothing. Listen out to what He says. You may see visions, He may drop a word in your spirit.
- Ask Him what He wants to talk about. As Him hat is on His heart. Ask Him what He is doing in Nigeria or in your neighbourhood and ask Him how He wants you to join Him.
- Read your Bible
- Allow the Holy Spirit: Let the Holy Spirit feel welcomed and let Him flow and lead you.
- Periodic time out: Take out long periods to be with Him. Go off social media. Go on a holiday. Just find times and be with Him
- Take His presence with you everywhere. Even in a busy place, in a crowd. Stay connected to Him. So you can hear and communicate with Him.
Jesus said in Matthew 6:6 “When you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.”
In the Old testament before Jesus came, man could only worship the Father in the temple. There was a secret place in the temple, however only the priests could and only once a year.
The Bible says that when Jesus died there was a great earth quake and the veil in the temple tore from top to bottom. This was intentional. Jesus broke the veil so we can have access with the Father. Jesus died so you can have access to the secret place. So you have intimacy with God. This is our primary purpose. To have a relationship with Him. To be with Him. Jesus has made this available to and for us but we are not coming to meet Him in the secret place. We are going to church, seminars, conferences, meetings like this but we don’t go searching for Him in the secret place. He wants to show His love to you. He wants to overwhelm you with His love. He wants He wants to envelop you in His presence, He wants to pour out Himself to you. He wants to reveal secret strategies to you. He wants to bring Heaven on earth through You. He wants to change the nations through You. He wants to heal through You. He wants to do signs and wonders through You.
- Do you meet the Father in the secret place?
- Since you started the Fathers Daughter challenge are you enjoying your quiet time with the Father
III. Would you continue after the challenge?
- Are you finding it difficult to spend quiet time with the Father~?
- Spend 60 minutes with the Father today.
- Ask the Father to help you dwell in His secret place.
- Tell Him about any struggles or difficulties that maybe preventing you from dwelling in the secret place.
- Write a letter to Him in your journal. You can start with “Dear Daddy, Dear Father etc.
- Read John chapter 18
- What is God saying to you? (write any thoughts that come to you in your journal)
- What do you say to God? (write this in your journal)
The Father’s Daughter’s thoughts: Peter denied Jesus when He was amongst persecutors. He was afraid for His life. You could say that He betrayed Jesus. Judas Iscariot also betrayed Jesus. He sold him for silver. The other disciples also betrayed Jesus. They all ran away and so it was only Peter and one other disciple that followed Jesus when He was taken away. Why was Peter restored and Judas wasn’t? I believe it was a matter of their heart condition. Peter had a good heart. He loved Jesus and this is why even when Jesus was taken away, He didn’t run like the others. He followed Him. However, He was flkesh and bllod and so his flesh kicked in. He was afraid and this is why He denied Jesus. I believe he repented and was remorseful. Judas on the other hand had a hardened heart. You can tell his heart condition even before the betrayal. He was the one who said the woman who broke her alabaster box shouldn’t have since they could sell the perfume and get money. If Judas repented even after betraying Jesus, I believe he would have been forgiven however his heart was so hardened. Do a heart check. Ask the Father to check your heart condition and remove anything that is not of Him.
- Listen to “One thing by Housefires II
- Listen to “see your face” by Housefires II
- Listen to “abide” by Housefires III
- Listen to “In you I live” by Housefires – We say yes album
- Listen to See your face” by Victoria Orenze
Declaration: I dwell in the secret place of the Most High. I meet my Father in the secret place.